Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/24/1999; 10:35:44 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

DaveNet: Ted Nelson Returns. "Now, twenty years later, and ten years after all work on the system had ceased, Nelson and his band of believers have released the source code to the Xanadu system."

Jon Udell: "Last night, at the O'Reilly Open Source conference in Monterey, Ted Nelson and his team demonstrated and shipped Xanadu, the fabled hypertext system that inspired the World Wide Web. It was a remarkable and strange moment."

Xanadu Secrets Become Open-Source. "In celebration of the success and vast human benefit of the Open Source movement, we are proud at last to be able to present to the world the technical ideas and methods on which we worked so hard for so long."

I downloaded the "Green" release of Xanadu and put it into a folder on my server so I can read it thru the web. You can too!

Gary Wolf: "Ted Nelson's Xanadu project was supposed to be the universal, democratic hypertext library that would help human life evolve into an entirely new form."

Ted Nelson's home page.

Lots of Ted Nelson and Doug Engelbart links in the archive from 1/24/98.

Is Xanadu a software antique? I think so!

Prosthetic Monkey: Red Hat Wealth Monitor.

Matt Neuburg: Long Day's Journey into Night of the Living Dead Software. Excellent!

Upside: Percolating Java.

Here's what happens when an outliner discovers cloning.

Nicholas Petreley: "If you're going to bet your company on Windows 2000, I've assembled 10 responses you should memorize to be fully prepared for the consequences."

The guestbook on Microsoft's Windows 2000 test site is interesting. Lots of Linux people there. Why are they so interested in Windows 2000?

Another Jon Udell piece: From Virtual Memory to Object Storage.