Re: Marijuana, health or legal issue

Author:Paul L. Bruno
Posted:8/25/1999; 12:21:06 PM
Topic:Carl Sagan and Marijuana

GW might not know who the supplier was. It might've been a friend, who he doesn't want to compromise. (That sounds like it was a one-time only thing, which I'm not trying to be implying.)

Anyway even if he did come clean, couldn't just about anybody stand up and say "Wait a minute, I sold GW purple microdot in '77" at some point? So anyone is open to blackmail at any time.

Does this cripple GW's potential effectiveness as a leader? That would depend on our reaction really. The polls seem to imply that as long as we're feeling good, we'll let you get away with a whole lot. A lot of people said Clinton couldn't be Commander-in-Chief, since he had avoided service and opposed US military intervention elsewhere himself. Or that as a sex addict, he could be compromised by the KGB or SPECTRE. Heck, as a hamburger addict.

Are we going to make GW piss into a cup every couple of weeks?

Can we learn to deal with these kinds of issues in a (to quote Pappy) kinder, gentler fashion, and drive the change in our behavior in this kind of a very visible case? It's not like he was busted like Marion Barry, who WAS given another chance. What we can do is show how yes, he had a youthful indiscretion, yes if he had been caught he could never run for President -- isn't it lucky for him, and go ahead and take the risk if you want. Also, yes, people make mistakes, but can recover from them. To me, that's a positive lesson that our kids should see. Unfortunately in this country at this time, we have things developing like Megan's Law which effectively put a criminal into a state of permanent incarceration and outcasting. Along with a war on drugs that is failing because it is horribly misguided.

These questions about GW or anybody else should not have to continue. Ask, I'll tell you what I want to tell you, then you make your judgment. Don't keep asking me. Don't speculate. Draw whatever conclusions you want, and move on. There seem to be far more important things to talk about. (And hey, if GW keeps avoiding talking about issues, he's partially to blame for this repetitive questioning.)

Man, the more I think about it, the more I feel bad for Gary Hart. He was way ahead of his time.