Re: Open Source Projects and quality...

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/26/1999; 7:59:44 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

Oh there aren't going to be any universal truths revealed in such a thread. It's fun to talk about languages. I doubt if I'll ever program in anything that isn't a pretty direct descendent of Algol. But peace on earth and goodwill to men (and women) who choose different sytaxes, such as those who use Perl (yes there are lots of them).

However, if you added up all the people who program in Algol-like languages, I bet you'd be impressed. (C, Java, C++, Pascal). But unless I'm missing something, among the scripting languages, only Python and Frontier are Algol-like.

I'm going to search for a definition of Algol-like for the non-techies here. (Back in a minute.)

I didn't find a really good one, yet, but here's a Stanford course handout on block-structured languages. It covers all the bases. Of course Lisp is block-structured, but not Algol-like.

http://psl.korea.ac.kr/~cse505/handouts/13active-records.html