Re: Open Source Projects and quality...

Author:Ken Kennedy
Posted:8/26/1999; 8:06:35 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

Hmmm...structure IS significant in Perl. It's just not defined with whitespace; it's defined with braces, brackets, etc.

Perl, I admit, is a weird language. It IS dirty, in a sense. As they say, There's More Than One Way To Do It. Some of those ways are REALLY wacky, and difficult to read/understand. But they're really not required; they're shortcuts for experienced programmers. The "Camel Book" (Programming Perl) talks about programming style; some programmers, though, seem to enjoy making perl scripts difficult to read. I do, sometimes, if I'm in a bitchy mood...*grin*.

Interesting idea RE: the bowl. Remember though, that Perl (and I assume Frontier and Python) has lots of uses. Perl doesn't claim to be solely a dynamic-website development language. I use Perl constantly at work to parse/pre-process arbitrary files for movement into data wareshouses. I'd bet that you'd lose THAT bowl, and badly. I don't know of ANYTHING with the text-manipulation & regular expression power of Perl. Tell me, and I'll try it!