Re: Compaq DOA, Microsoft NT setup cruel and unusual punishment

Author:Don W Strickland
Posted:8/26/1999; 10:13:47 AM
Topic:Next clonemaker, Compaq

... it doesn't need to be nearly this hard or time-consuming or error-prone. Apple solved the problem, why can't Microsoft and the clone vendors?

Simple. Microsoft and the clone vendors are not motivated to make WinTel work better or install easier because their customers are happy to pay for what they get today. WinTel delivers what sells and their customers are not only happy to pay for it but feel obligated to explain to the rest of us that WinTel is as good as it gets.

I have owned and loved many Macs in the last 15 years and a few other machines in the 10 years preceding that. However, when Apple ships less than the best, like the IIfx, IIsi, Duo 2300 or the PB-5300 (to name a few imo) I not only didn't buy them but I told my family, friends, customers, and clients not to buy them.

As soon as the market tells Bill Gates that Windows XX isn't worth buying Microsoft will be motivated to deliver something worth buying. Sure, I could never have built Microsoft and I do have respect in an way for that achievement. However don't tell me Microsoft is large and Bill is rich because Windows is excellent software ... it just ain't.

Expect better, don't buy less,

dws.