Re: Open Source Projects and quality...

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/26/1999; 12:09:58 PM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

Hmmm.... Can I get you guys on a stage to debate?

It almost happened on Tuesday at the O'Reilly thing.

I had scheduling dyslexia. First I thought I was supposed to be there on Monday at 2PM. I was there on Monday at 2PM, but no one else was. Then I thought it was supposed to be Tuesday at 2PM, until Paul Everitt met at lunch and said it was already over. ESR was on the panel. We would have had a meeting of the minds, on his turf (I thought at first) but once I got to know the people, I realize that they're far more open-minded.

Anyway, you have a good idea. I have tried several times to engage ESR in conversation, but none of the times have been optimal. Several times via email, once when he whored out (my opinion) with Apple on their open sourcing a dead operating system, and once on the phone at your house when he merrily said Open Source Open Source and nothing else will do.

Let's look for a proper venue, or if one isn't available let's create one.