Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/27/1999; 5:01:44 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

New spec: How to access UserLand's DGs thru XML-RPC. If this gains traction it will become an important standard for including user-written text in a content management system, directly connecting to user-oriented desktop text editing tools. This is how we factor the limited text editors in web browsers, by making the editors we love more intimate with HTTP (thru XML-RPC of course). Support is welcome from HTML editors (eg Word, Golive, Dreamweaver) and user-oriented databases (eg FileMaker, Access) as well as programmer editors such as BBEdit and Emacs. It's an open protocol, we also welcome competition on the server side, and in fact we plan to provide an excellent outliner to hook in on the workstation side. If you're interested in the future of writing for the web at a plumbing level, please check this out. Thanks!

Eric Folley: suites.autoWebEdit. "This suite is designed to make using WebEdit easier: when you open a webpage, this suite automatically checks it out for you; close the page, it's automatically checked in." Good idea!

InfoWorld: "The long-sought ability to run applications on different servers in far-flung places over the Internet without an army of high-end developers came a step closer this week as the Object Management Group (OMG) adopted the CORBA Component Model." Why wait? XML-RPC is doing this right now, not in the next millenium!

Once again I get good links from ntk.net. "If we had Xanadu you'd realise how out of context all these quotes are." Hey they follow the DG here. Thanks!

News.Com: Web breathes new life into Macromedia.

Hey Macromedia has two new products! Here are some pictures and screen shots. 1, 2, 3, 4. Here's the scoop on the two products. One is an improved version of their Generator server-side engine, and the other is an add-on that allows Adobe Illustrator users to generate Flash-compatible content. Not earth-shaking, evolutionary. That's always a good idea. (I'm looking for the press releases now. If you find them send me a pointer.)

InfoWorld: Microsoft and HP spec Over-the-Internet Printing. "IPP allows print jobs to be sent to any printer connected to the Internet."

On this page I outline my vision for RSS and invite everyone who has an opinion to express it. Thanks!

Granite Canyon provides a free public DNS.

I got emails this morning from vice-presidents of Microsoft and Compaq in response to yesterday's piece.

MSNBC: Teachers take the Web to Class. "Thousands of teachers nationwide are returning to their classrooms this year with a few new technological tools under their belts."

Nick Lowe defends Word-as-Outliner.

Jason Levine had a happy Dell experience.

Yesterday was a stunning day on Discuss.UserLand.Com. We're really zooooming. What a community. What good spirits. No flames and we're tackling tough issues. Excellent!

Yesterday was M10K Day. David Carter-Tod, the lucky creator of message 10K, gets a wish! Use it wisely.

Reuters/ZDNet: A good geek is hard to find. "The men here are every mother's dream. They're stable and well-educated, and they are wealthy. Some of them have millions and millions of dollars and no one to spend it on."