Re: Thoughts on ESR and Perl

Author:Dru Oja Jay
Posted:8/27/1999; 6:22:20 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

The only difference I can see is that they don't get paid for their work.

They can also be replaced (with a little effort), which puts them under some degree of peer-review by the people who contribute to their project. I would imagine that this fosters some cooperation and open-mindedness that isn't always inherent in commercial software projects (which is not to say that it doesn't exist, just that there is not very much motivation for leaders not so naturally inclined).