Re: Thoughts on ESR and Perl

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/27/1999; 6:31:08 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

I don't know that they can be replaced so easily. Who decides who's on the core Linux team? Isn't it Linus? Or does it vary with the project? I don't see the difference. If we hire someone at UserLand to work on the Frontier kernel and he doesn't work out, that's not your call, it's mine. It's not a system based on broad popularity, you trust my judgement much as Linux users trust Linus' judgement.

I've seen people can be uncomfortable with that, but there's no escaping it. Every step you take in a software project is an expression of the judgement, experience, intuition and creativity of a team, with a leader. If it were any other way, btw, I wouldn't be doing software. I find it satisfying to walk thru a maze of options and arrive at something that's useful. To me that's the art of software. It wouldn't interest me if that element weren't there.