Re: The reach of DaveNet

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/27/1999; 8:04:33 AM
Topic:Next clonemaker, Compaq

Dave Dave Dave, you must have missed my message on this yesterday.

I told the Dell guy that if he wants to help me he has to help you too. "If they can make an offer to my readers and give me the same offer, OK. If not, thanks but no thanks."

It's an important idea. I want to develop a relationship with one of the clone vendors to offer better service to Scripting News readers.

And, I have a hidden agenda, which will not be so hidden now.

I want to find a clone vendor who will work with us at putting software on the disk when they install NT. They have new freedom there, granted by the courts, and I think that any clone vendor that developed a relationship with Scripting News would quickly have a new kind of product to offer.

I was thinking of SGI, as an example. They might want to reconsider rekindling their NT business if they could get some great new ideas in software on each hard drive. Vertical markets can be pretty broad in the times we're in. Not much thought has been given to this, but I have been thinking of it. It's one of the major reasons I wanted to get onto NT, the opportunities with Mac clone vendors weren't as rich as with the PC clone vendors. Looks like that decision was right, because the next thing that happened was Jobs shut down the cloners!

So don't get weepy (a Jason Levine term) -- think positive.