Re: Thoughts on ESR and Perl

Author:Nick Sweeney
Posted:8/27/1999; 10:44:26 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

Here's where ESR writes interestingly, though: he makes the point that there's far more ego involved in contributing to "bazaar" development than typical software projects. Your code is your calling card, as far as Linux kernel development is concerned.

Who decides who's on the core Linux team? Isn't it Linus? Or does it vary with the project? I don't see the difference.

One of the MS objections: Linux has no roadmap. People involve themselves (and dis-involve themselves) in the project according to whim. Their relative importance can fluctuate rapidly: it's a fast-track up and down. While this may buck the Brooks principle that projects suffer from the involvement of increased numbers, I think it's open to valid criticism. There's a lot of bricolage in Linux development, and not necessarily a lot of architecture.