Re: open source == $0.00?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/28/1999; 7:25:04 AM
Topic:GIFs get expensive

Steve, one of the things I learned at the Open Source Convention, from hallway and lunchtable conversation, is that this is just about software, and the O'Reilly "it is a gift" philosophy seems to be the norm.

"I feel that it's immoral to try to compel someone else to give you something they've created without compensating them in some way. That is, when software is freed, it is a gift, not the result of an obligation."

My advice: don't pay too much attention to the zealots. If your software does something useful or interesting, that's what counts. People who need access to the source will appreciate that it's available. You may get flamed by some, but you probably won't. If you do, we'll send Don Hopkins to have a talk with them!