Re: Xanadu--some initial reactions

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:8/28/1999; 1:07:37 PM
Topic:Xanadu--some initial reactions

That's Xanadu's problem too -- it tries to explain the entire universe from creation to collapse in terms of one grand unified theory, when all we need now are some practical techniques for rubbing sticks together to make fire, building shelters over our heads to keep the rain out, and convincing people to be nice and stop killing each other.

To rub sticks together and make fire, use a bowdrill. The basic idea is, you have four components: the fireboard, the spindle, the handhold, and the bow. The fireboard and handhold both have sockets into which you place the spindle. The cord of the bow is wrapped around the spindle, you put your foot on the fireboard, press down on the handhold, and saw the bow back and forth creating friction. The fireboard has a notch where black dust collects. The notch fills up, you continue sawing, and the dust heats until you get a nice coal. The coal goes into your tinder bundle, you blow on it gently until it bursts into flame, and you place it quickly into a little tipi of sticks. Fire!

A quick way to keep the rain out is with a debris hut. Make a skeleton of sticks over a ridgepole and pile on the leaves at least two feet thick. Embellish as desired.

I've done my part, now if someone else can convince people to be nice and stop killing each other we'll be all set.