Re: Server Hardware

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:8/30/1999; 1:32:41 PM
Topic:Server Hardware

I do know that Dell at least won't sell you a server with a Celeron

Hmm.. that could be it. I'll admit that I haven't found many big name vendors offering Celerons. Quite a few small vendors do, though. I came across one awhile back called "ComputerNerd USA" that is shooting for the server market. When I checked last, they had a Dual Celeron 366 o/c to 550 with 512M RAM for about $3K.

The folks at Ars Technica did a "smackdown" between a similar box to this and a dual PIII 500 (o/c to 560). The Celeron one was neck and neck with the PIII for nearly all of their tests. It was very interesting.

http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/3q99/smp/smp-1.html