Re: 130 RSS newsfeeds from Moreover.com

Author:nick@moreover.com
Posted:8/31/1999; 2:51:39 PM
Topic:130 RSS newsfeeds from Moreover.com

I agree with Matt that headline aggregators should be wary of providing any more than a link. He suggests a synopsis is okay, but I'm hesitant about doing that.

And attribution is very important, which is why Moreover.com's RSS feeds include the original source of each story in the description tag.

I'd actually add three other rules of etiquette.

1. headline links should spawn a new window.

2. the source name should link to the publisher's home page, giving users the choice of a deep link direct to the article, or navigation as the publisher intended

3. no direct links to audio or video, because that denies the publisher the opportunity to deliver an ad banner to the visitor, while increasing the load on their servers

This is what we've done at our mothership site - at www.moreover.com. Question: how should we encourage users of our RSS feeds to follow those rules?

Nick Denton Moreover.com