Archive of UserLand's first discussion group, started October 5, 1998.
Re: 130 RSS newsfeeds from Moreover.com
Author: firstname.lastname@example.org Posted: 8/31/1999; 2:51:39 PM Topic: 130 RSS newsfeeds from Moreover.com Msg #: 10343 (In response to 10341) Prev/Next: 10342 / 10344
I agree with Matt that headline aggregators should be wary of providing any more than a link. He suggests a synopsis is okay, but I'm hesitant about doing that.
And attribution is very important, which is why Moreover.com's RSS feeds include the original source of each story in the description tag.
I'd actually add three other rules of etiquette.
1. headline links should spawn a new window.
2. the source name should link to the publisher's home page, giving users the choice of a deep link direct to the article, or navigation as the publisher intended
3. no direct links to audio or video, because that denies the publisher the opportunity to deliver an ad banner to the visitor, while increasing the load on their servers
This is what we've done at our mothership site - at www.moreover.com. Question: how should we encourage users of our RSS feeds to follow those rules?
Nick Denton Moreover.com
There are responses to this message:
- Re: 130 RSS newsfeeds from Moreover.com, Matt Hamer, 8/31/1999; 3:42:34 PM
- Re: 130 RSS newsfeeds from Moreover.com, Ian Davis, 8/31/1999; 4:19:06 PM
This page was archived on 6/13/2001; 4:52:18 PM.
© Copyright 1998-2001 UserLand Software, Inc.