Re: 130 RSS newsfeeds from Moreover.com

Author:Matt Hamer
Posted:8/31/1999; 3:42:34 PM
Topic:130 RSS newsfeeds from Moreover.com

Your rules of etiquette seem very reasonable, but I think you'll find that most HTML based news sites (like CNN) don't include any wording that is remotely similar in their "terms of use", so though I personally think you are being fair, I think you may be toeing the line from a legal standpoint (though, of course, I'm not a lawyer). OTOH, if a news site provides an RSS feed or something similar and makes the URL public information, it is clear (?) that they are allowing you to use the information for whatever purpose you wish, presumably because they limit the information they expose to you to something like a headline and this requires you to navigate back to their site if you are interested. They also have control over exactly what that URL is, so they might send you to a higher level page instead of directly to the story.

I think we need to do our best to encourage sites that already provide *RSS like* content to expose it as XML and publish a liberal "fair use" policy (maybe an industry standard policy) that might include the rules of etiquette we've been discussing.