RSS History

Author:Jonathan Eisenzopf
Posted:9/1/1999; 11:23:11 AM
Topic:RSS History

I'm writing a piece for Mother of Perl on using the XML::RSS module to include RSS news feeds on a Web site. I'm looking for some better background info on where RSS came from. Here's what I think I know:

-RSS was introduced by Netscape ~ March 99 and is used by my.netscape.com to display "channels". -Dave Winer added RSS support to www.scripting.com which was already using its own XML format, scriptingNews. -Dave Winer introduced my.userland.com which is similar to my.netscape.com. -RSS 0.91 was release and incorporated additional elements based on recommendations of Dave Winer and others.

Could someone confirm or correct these assertions?

Jonathan.