Re: Attempted clear statement of D.Linking/Scraping controversy

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:9/2/1999; 9:27:11 AM
Topic:Automated deep linking

I think it may be a little more complex than that on a discussion forum site. Let's say Dave gives permission to copy all forum posts. I post with the understanding that I'm talking to a specific community, and don't want my posts taken out of context elsewhere. I get mad. Or, supppose Dave says nobody can copy forum posts. I want my wisdom dispersed far and wide. Again a mismatch, though I'm not likely to get mad in this case, I can just post somewhere else in addition if I think my words are that important.

In other words, a forum owner should make his policy available to anyone who might want to post on the forum.

Speaking hypothetically, it could get even stranger. Say, for example, that some public forum won't let anyone scrape their site. Then all their participants post a tagline: "This post placed in the public domain by the author"...