The Internet as a Turing Machine

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/2/1999; 9:30:54 AM
Topic:Programming ideas and time to mature

And here's another one -- HTML. How far back can you go with that idea? SGML, when did it first come up? And then there's XML.

I got an email, I forget from who, in response to this posting, saying that HTML doesn't count because it is not a Turing Machine. Of course that's true, I'm not sure its Turingness matters, but then I had a thought this morning that the purpose of XML-RPC is to turn the Internet into a Turing machine. I liked that description because it is so concise, assuming you know what a Turing Machine is.

What is a Turing Machine? Here's a really cool site.