Re: I Require Permission

Author:Chris Hanson
Posted:9/2/1999; 8:44:07 PM
Topic:Automated deep linking

However, is it right that they're claiming the privilege (it's not a natural right) to control how facts they distribute are used?

I claim that no one should have this privilege, that it is not right for anyone to be able to tell me "Sure, I told you this formula, but you can only use it how I say you can use it," unless I explicitly -- in writing (or via a digital signature, same thing) -- agree to this in advance. Or for Major League Baseball to be able to charge me for telling my friends "Sosa hit another homer tonight!" (At the end of every Cubs game, there's a notice that "accounts of the game" may not be reproduced without MLB's permission.)

You can't and should absolutely not be able to copyright facts. This would not be in line with the purpose of copyright, which is to benefit society and promote the development of creative expression by granting a limited monopoly on exact duplication. Instead it would further serve to push our society towards serfdom in the face of the nine companies that control the majority of the world's media.

Imagine a world where I would have to pay Project Censored for making use of their data in that last sentence -- or where I had to get their permission to repeat that data at all -- and you'll see why I feel so strongly about this.

(I am not a lawyer, just very opinionated.)