Re: I Require Permission

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/3/1999; 6:04:34 AM
Topic:Automated deep linking

Heh, reminds me of a parent answering their child's question by saying, "Because...", which always seemed like weak logic when growing up.

Play nice dude. We are trying to explain it to you. Saying that we're using "weak logic" is not furthering an intelligent discussion.

I'll give it one more try. If InfoWorld says "Don't do it" I will respect that. I may think it's silly, but it's their content and their website, and if they don't want outside links, I won't link.

Same with their aggregation flow. If they don't proactively say they want it, I won't scrape their site to synthesize it. Why? Because there's a copyright notice on their home page, and in my opinion, if I grab all the links off their home page, with a robot, I would be violating their copyright, again in my opinion.

Lawrence provided a pointer to a pair of companies who believe there's value in a collection of links. Presumably, if the MarketWatch home page were being scraped and repurposed they would object. I will find a way to ask them that question.

In the meantime, are any of the scrapers scraping MarketWatch? Links would be appreciated. Let's air this issue at a high level, with a real-world example. Thanks for listening.