Re: I Require Permission

Author:Bruce Wyman
Posted:9/3/1999; 12:19:28 PM
Topic:Automated deep linking

Scrapers (human or digital) are only infringing copyright if cite a substantial portion of the work without permission or they claim credit for the work rather than merely cite it.

Yes! Yes! This makes very good sense to me.

And, applying it to one of my previous comments: "I'm presuming that when a scraper would send me an email of headlines from a set of websites, that I'm never under the presumption the actual content is coming from the scraper. They're simply telling me to look at a particular place because they think I'd be interested in this set of stories. " It would seems that scrapers, as I've described them above, seem to fit in perfectly well with copyright law, as Ben Griffiths suggests in his post.

Am I misundertsanding how scrapers work?

On a seperate note about syndication and RSS, it presumes that any website that wants to be part of the syndication model needs to make an investment in using XML and some programming. For those organizations that aren't ready to make that technological leap, are there any other methods a similar benefit aside from asking someone to scrape them?