Real database behind email front-end

Author:Dino Morelli
Posted:9/6/1999; 9:01:40 PM
Topic:Can I script Outlook Express or Eudora?

I don't think there's any reason why mail clients shouldn't use fast, scalable databases.

This is what I immediately thought of when I read Dave's original post on this. It's something that I've thought before, too. It seems like a script to purge mail by some criteria in the brand name mailers, however useful, is really just a band-aid on the real problem. That email programs are weak database wannabes. They fall down under the pressure of large amounts of data.

What I've done for years now with Eudora Lite is to export huge folders of email to single large text files (Eudora will do this). I save these huge files and grep through them once in a very great while if the need arises. Not an ideal solution, but it gets it out of my mailer's hair.

This, I think, is where Eudora et al should be moving towards. Replacing their local storage systems with real database while keeping the nice front end in place.

Kinda makes you wonder how nice life would be if Frontier was playing the email client for you, hm? Storing everything in the odb. Scripts to purge would be a non-issue. Or if Frontier was playing the database role for a thin gui app who behaved like Eudora or Outlook.