Re: Summary of recent XML-RPC developments

Author:don_wakefield@mentorg.com
Posted:9/7/1999; 10:19:18 AM
Topic:Summary of recent XML-RPC developments

Dave Winer wrote: >> Once you have the ability to use a modern editor to write >> for the web you won't want to go back. > > David Thiege wrote: > I think this is one of the most important and intriguing developing > stories in computing today.

I'm glad someone is addressing the usability of the Web (thanks Dave! ;^)~.

I emailed Dave once before asking him why the DG just didn't use NNTP, since you can use your editor of choice with it, there are a million readers with many desirable threading features, and it is an open standard. I'll let Dave give his exact words, but it was something along the lines of 'I didn't know about it'.

Bruce Tognazzinni of asktog has a lot to say about the giant steps backward in usability which came about with the Web. In a lot of cases he states it is because the folks designing the Web have had no Usability training, and have not been exposed to the lessons of the past. I think the momentum behind this phenomenon is something we can't fight, so rather than try to get everybody using NNTP for DGs, for instance, finding new ways to make the tools usable is much needed. So once again, thanks.

Tog and others have also pointed out that a Web application is not a Web browser with scripting enhancements. The ability to do RPC over HTTP and write one's own front-end may represent a key move away from the browser-is-web attitude. I look forward to seeing more of this in the future.