Re: Summary of recent XML-RPC developments

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/7/1999; 10:27:21 AM
Topic:Summary of recent XML-RPC developments

Tog and others have also pointed out that a Web application is not a Web browser with scripting enhancements. The ability to do RPC over HTTP and write one's own front-end may represent a key move away from the browser-is-web attitude. I look forward to seeing more of this in the future.

Actually I'm hoping to see an integration of the web, email and instant messaging, and if Deja comes on board, you get NNTP too. Then you can concentrate the power of writing tools, and all the old lessons apply, the ones that Tog and others of his generation (me included) learned the hard way. This is why the Sun acquisition of Star Division is so timely. It puts the focus back on desktop apps, an area we know well!