XML/Syndication vs Syndication/XML

Author:Andrew Duncan
Posted:9/10/1999; 7:30:21 AM
Topic:rss channels via email

One possible solution, which I've just implemented in a Yahoo-style directory, is to allow an alias from one category to another:

XML/Syndication

I wrote a Frontier suite for manipulating and querying categories (actually "nodes"), which dereferences the aliases transparently.

So any operation on XML/Syndication is an operation on Syndication/XML.

This was really useful for the project, which is for a gardening site. Some things, like Bonsai, are hard to classify, but aliases allow you fit the same idea into several categories.

The node suite is as simple as possible: 14 core routines, and 5 utilities. It's also as agnostic as possible about the contents of a node, so it can be easily adapted to other tasks.

Anyway, it's certainly seems (so far) to be a workable approach. The site will be live in a couple of weeks, so I will soon find out!

Let me know if you'd like a copy the code.

Cheers,