Re: What is Third Voice?

Author:Jeremy Bowers
Posted:9/15/1999; 8:55:45 PM
Topic:New Third Voice version out

Oh! For the record, what Dave quoted was the official definition from Third Voice itself, not something he made up!

Basically, if we are to accept the marketing at face value (which we are clearly NOT to do, as you'll see), Third Voice allows people to automatically crack into servers and change the content of the page ("post notes to websites", even without discussion groups).

Obviously, one can observe that when extoling the virtues of Third Voice to a prospective user, the notes are "on a website" and when defending it from the detractors, the notes are "on our server"... but I am inclined to simply dismiss the Third Voice definition as marketing hype, which is as accurate as marketing hype usually is, and go with "on our server".

(Note: If they simply stayed on the server, I'd have no objection... it's the propogation that I find bad news. No contradiction here.)

The observation is good, interesting rhetoric, but mincing words with Third Voice doesn't accomplish anything.