Re: Communities for tech women

Author:Dori Smith
Posted:9/16/1999; 5:12:26 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I ask a fairly complex JavaScript question of an online group. I get back responses along the lines of "Is your computer plugged in?".
The person who answered is an idiot!

Well, let's just say that this happens much more often on lists that are primarily male than primarily female. And as Lynn has also noted, it tends to occur when women ask questions and men reply.

My guess as to why this happens is that I think that men, consciously or unconsciously, think of women as beginners in tech.

If you choose to believe that lists with a higher ratio of men also have a higher ratio of idiots, that's your choice. I'll have to disagree with you on that one.