Re: Communities for tech women

Author:Lynn Siprelle
Posted:9/16/1999; 7:18:33 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

In general, in formal settings like that, interrupting someone you respect is not the first thing that would pop into the average woman's mind, especially if you're making it very clear in more polite ways that you have something to say; I would feel as if I were being extremely rude were I to do that. Yeah, the moderator was being extremely rude, but he's the moderator.

And there's always a good chance that, even if you do return rude for rude, you'll still be ignored, or even treated as if *you're* the rude one. At least, that's been my experience as both spectator and participant at various events. I wasn't at Dori's panel, but I may as well have been; I've seen that very thing happen, not every time or even every other time, but more than once.