Nicholas Petreley article

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:9/20/1999; 12:06:36 PM
Topic:Nicholas Petreley article

"Microsoft can easily use XML as a standard way to pack its documents full of proprietary data objects."

Good point. They could fill an XML document with binary data if they really want to.

But:

"Microsoft is positioning XML as if it is the open way to create interchangeable document types. But Microsoft is doing this only to derail Enterprise JavaBeans, which is a platform-neutral approach. "

I dn't know enough about EJB, but...I fail to see how they're even comparable. To use EJB means I have to run EJB on my server. I have to learn Java and EJB messaging. And still, an EJB may provide messaging but I'm not exactly going to save a document as an EJB. With XML I can use any kind of web server to generate a format that I can easily understand and extend, and which anyone can read.