Our first big crash!

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/22/1999; 8:02:22 AM
Topic:Our first big crash!

We had our first big crash on Nirvana. Discuss.root wouldn't open, the messages table, the one with 11,000-plus sub-tables had a bad bit or bits or whatever. It just wouldn't open, and without that table, there isn't much of a DG. "qbullet.sidesmiley"

But our recovery plan seems to have worked. We archive every change to every message in XML. It appears I was able to recover all the messages that had been posted. The readcounts will be wrong, those aren't backed up.

I have a narrative of the recovery process, so if other Frontier developers have a discuss.root crash, they'll have a set of scripts and a procedure to follow. I'll post a pointer to the narrative after cleaning it up a bit. I wrote it on another server, which was running fine.

It was going to happen sooner or later. And now was as good as time as any.

Onward! Murphy-willing.