Re: You've never owned the look and feel ...

Author:Rogers Cadenhead
Posted:9/28/1999; 8:08:30 PM
Topic:Windows apps on Linux: the real reason

There is nothing you can do with your own browser configuration that will affect my browser configuration. If Third Voice becomes the norm, then I can do something in mine that affects yours.

I'm not ready to condemn public annotation because of what it might become, how it might be implemented in Web browsers someday, and how it might be used in the future.

Annotation is a concept we're just beginning to explore on a large scale as it relates to hypertext, and it is presently a feature limited to the audience that chooses to view sites in annotated form.

I think annotation is much less likely to become standard browser behavior than content filtering, which is an optional feature you must turn on (hubba hubba) in Internet Explorer 5. No one seems to expect content filtering to become mandatory in the next iteration of their browsers, and Internet smut is a boogeyman that makes good political hay.

Annotation, on the other hand, seems to have captivated the strong interest of only one group of people so far: the Web publishers who are protesting it.

Third Voice involves an actual addition of content, whereas changing fonts leaves the original content intact.

Third Voice adds context, not content. It's an expansion of the idea behind bordering frames in the same window that are hosted on unrelated sites.

Unlike those frames, which are employed on thousands of Web pages at present, the Third Voice user always has strong visual cues that distinguish the plug-in's content from the site it is presented in conjunction with.