Re: XPointer/XLink and annotations

Author:tom.jeffery@hsa.hitachi.com
Posted:10/1/1999; 1:13:55 PM
Topic:XPointer/XLink and annotations

This technology has existed in SGML for a while--it's part of the HyTime spec. At least one (free) browser, HyMinder(?), supports this: On your screen, Doc A has hyperlinks to Doc B, but if you look at the source of A and B, there are no links--they are all in Doc C.

I've heard rumors that the question of whether to include this feature is what kept the XLL spec (now XPointer/XLink) from being released about 2 years ago! Of course, the question was whether it was technically feasible, not ethically correct.

This kind of linking seems to make ThirdVoice-like setups a certainty. So it's a good thing we are debating the ethics now, whle they are still rare and small scale.