Visible debugging process

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/2/1999; 6:41:49 AM
Topic:News stories not propogating

The updates stories from developer[nation] (channel 1449) do not appear to be propogating into the news system. The system appears to recognise the updates to the XML file but none of the new stories are showing up.

Zac, I'm going to figure out what's going on here right now! Thanks for your patience and for reporting this. Stay tuned.

  1. OK, so here's the channel:

    http://my.userland.com/viewChannel$1449

    The first question is -- does this accurately reflect what's in your XML file? I can answer that myself. Back in a minute. Yes, they clearly all are there. What does this tell us? First, that the channel is being read, and that the XML is correct.

  2. Now I'm going to write a little debugger page that tells me whether or not Zac's stories are in the database on the affiliate.

    http://nirvana.userland.com/affiliate.root/affiliateWebsite/debugging/listStoriesFromService$1449

    Excellent! They're in the database. That's good. So the problem is with the displayer.

  3. Next step. I now have a debugging interface that allows me to look at back issues. This is essential because the missing articles are not in today's scan. Here's a link that displays the articles from Sept 12, 1999 8AM.

  4. Looking at the stories for 9/30/99, 11AM, when Zac posted 4 articles, I see that they are there. This is not as bad as it seems, because I found a bug in the code, and rewrote it from scratch. Now I'm going to integrate that code with the My.UserLand inteface, and Zac's stories should appear in the flow as we go forward. If they don't now we will have the diagnostic tools to figure out where the breakage is.