Re: Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dale Dougherty
Posted:10/2/1999; 10:42:55 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

While Eric has many interesting insights, he ends up being an ideologue, which he professes not to be. Open Source should be a spectrum, not the extreme end of the spectrum. Community licensing fits nicely on the spectrum and shows that Sun is moving in a useful direction. Tim O'Reilly organized a meeting with Sun to talk about the community license during the previous (1998) O'Reilly Conference. It was clear Sun was trying to get feedback about community licensing with regard to Jini. Eric was there as well as Linus. Linus stormed out in a huff saying the license was unacceptable and jini would never be a part of Linux. I was surprised by his reaction. Eric remained to lecture Bill Joy. Bill Joy was actually pretty good in defending commercial s/w development as an engine of innovation. He said Sun doesn't want to be a service business. There' s no scale to such businesses, he said.

Also, when Eric talks about "hackers", I think he has a rather narrow view of who they are and what they do and why they do things. I don't like it when he says, as though an elected representative of the community, that "hackers won't like this or that." I don't see that kind of uniformity anywhere.

Dale