Re: Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Ken MacLeod
Posted:10/2/1999; 10:44:03 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Referring to Linux and RedHat, Dave writes, ``I wish they would work with us.''

Who do you refer to when you say ``they''? Linux is simply a high profile focus point for open source software (OSS), RedHat packages up the Linux kernel and a lot of already existing open source software and distributes it. OSS is broader than Linux and broader than Unix. Most OSS is cross platform (Windows, Mac, Unix, and many others) and there is OSS that isn't even Unix based.

I think the ``they'' here is us, you, everybody. If there's a connection being missed, it's simply because no one's stepped up to make it. Often people need inspiration to make these connections, a short, detailed wishlist and a readyness to assist go a long way to making things happen. If someone doesn't pick up and run with it right away, it's not an indication of failure on anybody's part or general lack of interest, it's far simpler than that: the right person hasn't connected at the right time.

Unless I'm mistaken, ``they'' are already working with ``us'': Zope, various XML-RPC and SOAP implementations, discussion about future protocols, interfaces to other systems, etc.