How reuseable is your code?

Author:Neil McLeish
Posted:10/7/1999; 8:02:31 AM
Topic:How reuseable is your code?

Good day to all.

I have a script on a Mac.
'Marvellous!' I hear you all cry.
Well, yes; but for one thing.
I need to use that same piece of code on a PC and herein lies a problem.
The code in question steps through the items in a table and performs a process on what it finds within that table.  The problem occurs when I 'copy and paste' (via Zip Disk) the code from the Mac to the PC.
I import my script, open it and think to myself (I do a lot of that) 'Ah, no problem, just find and replace the MacHD:applications:blah:blah path with 'D:Frontierguest databasessmashingsite' and it should work.
Wrong.  For some reason, I get a coercion (hmm, looks Spanish to me) error telling me that the path I have given is not in the database.
Anyone know why?  Is The parser getting confused with the slashquote and thinking that it is a part of the path?

I asked a colleague to perform the same import and change procedure (without telling him exactly what I did).  He came up with the same problem.
So. Maybe the platform divide has not yet been fully bridged?
Hopefully, it is a simple matter of a syntax misinterpretation on my part.

Have fun folks,

Neil J. McLeish