Re: Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

Author:Akilesh Rajan
Posted:10/9/1999; 2:58:00 PM
Topic:Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

No (at least, I don't think so, but what do I know? :-). Perhaps the easiest way for me to put it is: I want to know how hard it is to replicate specific aspects of my.userland.com functionality on my own, entirely separate from Userland.

These aspects would be:

-the content-gathering function

-periodically downloading all the registered RSS files from various sites

-rendering these RSS files in HTML

-amalgating headlines from select RSS files based on user preferences and sorting by date, which my.userland.com does based on hour & day.

Beyond this list, the script I have in mind would also be able to understand XML fields well enough so that it could use them to update an Access database. When I say "understand," I mean that it would realize that the item tag signals a collection of related information, and so on...