Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

Author:Akilesh Rajan
Posted:10/9/1999; 10:17:45 AM
Topic:Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

I am very new to this whole XML, XML-RPC, RSS, etc. thing. As I am a non-techie, I am finding it pretty confusing. Although I know XML's possibilities extend far beyond news, I thought it might at least heighten my understanding if I comprehended the solution to the following scenario:

I have a web-hosting account. I want to be able to go through the XML files on various hand-picked websites and assemble a page full of headlines from them. I want the page to be updated at a frequency I specify, and to be displayed in a layout I specify. I may even want to feed the headlines into an Access database, with dates, and source names. This way, I can do a sort and see, for instance, all headlines from Tomalak's Realm and Scripting News between July 1 and July 15.

Now here's the catch: I don't have XML-RPC. I don't know how to install or implement it. In fact, I don't even have a server all to myself--I have a shared account at a web host. What do I have? I have access to Cold Fusion, CGI, and ASP.

What would it take to accomplish my goal with the means I possess?

Thanks!