Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/11/1999; 5:26:18 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends in Canada!

What is DigiScents? "Advances in understanding the human genome and computational biochemistry combined with Java and the Internet now place us in an unprecedented situation."

Zac: "One of the best hoaxes to be propogated on the net population at large."

New commands in Frontier's HTML Menu.

Jon Udell: What's Hard About Group Messaging?

redirect.userland.com: "Let's find out what the value of a link on Scripting News is today, and this will give me a way to measure the effect of things we do to increase the value of such a link."

Luke Tymkowski is exploring Squishdot and RDF.

Lou Gerstner: "Any customer or nation who gets trapped by a closed architecture runs the very real risk of being left behind."

Time: Steve's Two Jobs. "Apple uses art to create technology. Pixar uses technology to create art."

NY Times: "Jim Clark is not so much an Internet entrepreneur as the embodiment of a new kind of economic man. The founder of Silicon Graphics, Netscape and now Healtheon built his fortune and his legend on nothing more than his next wildy simple notion."

Postscript to the Compaq DOA piece (the most popular DaveNet since we started tracking reads on individual pieces) -- even though I returned the defective machine, they failed to credit me, so the charge is still on my credit card account. More hassles. Watch out for these people, they hate customers. "A withering experience."

"If the box could shrink further, and become nicer to look at, and more closed, I would be quite happy. When they said I had to open the box I said 'This is unfair!'" I don't like computers, I like what I can do with them.

MSNBC on DSL. "Red Connect offers inexpensive 56K modem dial-up, 128K ISDN and 1MB DSL service. Throughout New York, their signs proclaim: 'Red Means Go.' Now that it's up and running in my house, I know they ain't kidding."

Kurt Granroth: KDE Developer Conference Report. "The distributed nature of CORBA presented a few problems related to concurrency, reliability, and performance. It was decided that for application/GUI embedding, it made much more sense to use local components. This embedding approach is similar to how ActiveX and COM components are implemented in the Windows world and is likewise as seamless to the user."

Dan Gillmor: "When you put up a public Web site, be prepared for the public -- including rivals and third-party intermediaries seeking to make some money off of your work -- to use your site in ways you never, ever anticipated."

MacWEEK: Developers debate Filemaker pricing, policies. "One hot topic for developers is that under the licensing terms for FileMaker Pro 5.0, use of third-party software -- such as Lasso -- is prohibited, as is the use of AppleScript-based CGI scripts."