Re: Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

Author:Jim Goodman
Posted:10/11/1999; 11:15:44 AM
Topic:Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

Call me stupid, but i have been fighting with a similar battle for some time now. i am no programmer, but i am dangerous, and i have been trying to aggregate information from various sites for quite some time. i now have an plethora of programs that all do much the same thing, but just slightly different. most of the difference is in the interface and how it is coded. for us morons, the easier the better. we don't need to understand all the patern matching etc. we should be able to build it in english!

i read scripting news several times a day, and have for years. i love frontier, but the learning curve... i just can't get motivated. i would be happy to pay any licensing fee required, or even the development costs. in the mean time, take a look at a couple of programs that i have found that are usefull. i understand that they are not XML-RPC and they only grab the page and do simple work on it, but for me, the moron, getting the right data is the first hurdle. if i can't get the data then nothing else matters.

obviously, there is "frontier" which we all love, but i also use newsclipper and netreaper to gather my info before i publish it to my site.

i hope that this input helps, and if anyone takes a look at this software and says "hey, that would be an easy interface to code into frontier" - let me know!