Re: Computers? Feh! & OS Biases too!

Author:Neil McLeish
Posted:10/13/1999; 2:16:34 AM
Topic:Computers? Feh!

Indeed I agree.
To paraphrase a lecturer I once had, whilst studying basic robotics and CNC etc;
'A computer is merely a tool. A dumb box of bits with which to perform hopefully useful tasks '.
Now, whilst the usefulness of the tasks can be debateable, the fact still remains. Computers are as thick as two short planks; It is what you do  with them that matters.
I also feel that biases toward operating systems are a heavy factor in the prevention of proper progress.
Remember the arguments you could hear at college?
'Unix sucks!'; or 'Macs are for wimps!' and 'Windows?  Isn't that what Bill should be thrown out of?'(only jesting Mr. G. I love you, honnist guv!) -- well, you get the idea.
Is it not true that if the makers of all of these platforms got together, they could create something that is truly uniform, and, therefore truly of use to those who are, or should be, the most important factor?

YES!    WE THE USERS!!

It is my humble opinion that the great Bill, and Steve and all of the Big Folk in OS Rival Land are far too busy carressing their buggy bruised egos, that we the people are being left out somehow.

So come one chaps.  Sort it out!!

Fun to All!

Neil J. McLeish