Re: Start the Revolution without me

Author:Stephen Judd
Posted:10/13/1999; 6:54:49 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

"You mention WebSTAR. But in Unix-land, there's AOLserver, which is faster and a better web server than Apache, yet only a handful of people seem to grok that."

I dunno. I have a lot of mind space invested in Perl, and don't really like TCL (which I'm having to learn so I can develop in Story Server). AOLServer's dependency on TCL is the big turn off for me.

As to the herding instinct, I think that's universal.

Thought about usability: Unix is famously difficult because it was created by programmers for programmers. Perhaps that is a genuine tendency in most open source software - it's always started and worked on by people who differ from normal users in many ways, and who are focussed on serving their own needs, not those of "normal" users.