Re: Uptime

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:10/14/1999; 11:32:16 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I still think you're opening up a can of worms.

I would find a service like the one you're proposing to be very handy, too.

But. Say Jane Bloggs wants to hook into your flow. Her connection to your server is first-rate. But the connection between Philip's server and her server is second-rate. You deny her access.

Or maybe it's just one day where the connection is really bad. And otherwise it's first-rate.

My home connection here normally rates at about 2.5 Mb/sec. But today it's been excessively unreliable, down'n'out more often than it has been up.

You would probably have to set up a server to test responsiveness, time Jane's connection every hour for two days, then say "Sorry, too unreliable, I can't let you connect. Try again next week."

Remember a year or so ago when some people were complaining that they couldn't connect to you, or not very quickly, and others were saying that their connections to you were blazingly quick? You were pretty frustrated trying to figure out what the problem was, I think.

But I certainly see your point, and while I have reservations about how easy it will be to manage (PR not technically), I think it's worth trying just to see what it's like.

PS Just read the relevant bit in Philip's book. Seems the network doesn't seem to the the sore point. Rather, it's the ISP and the server itself. And some sites, which rely upon a db to function, only ask Uptime to check for a static text file, not a file served by the db.

So Jane's server serves up a text file blazingly quickly, but her web site comes out of a db, and that db is down quite often.