Tognazzini Recovering from Surgery

Author:Erik Neu
Posted:10/15/1999; 1:34:40 PM
Topic:Tognazzini Recovering from Surgery

I wrote Mr. Tognazzini the email below after reading his wonderful column "The Pump" (http://www.asktog.com/columns/030ThePump.html).

______________________________ I have read your column with great appreciation for a while (referred by Scripting News), but have never had any insight profound enough to justify contacting you. And I still don't have any profound technical insights. However, after reading "The Pump", I couldn't refrain from commenting.

This is a beautiful piece. Why? First, the effort to maintain your awareness and focus on the "normal" (what you normally do, anyway ) during the very hours of recovery from major surgery for a very serious illness brings to mind a Yeats-ian or Dlyan-esque determination to resist (you know, "rage, rage against the dying of the light"). Second, in the aftermath of the surgery, you were able to summon the will and skill to craft the usual insightful and well-written meditation on interfaces--a triumphant act. Third, because of the transcendent subtlety and grace with which you handle the subject, almost as if the fact that your very life is in the balance were incidental.

My prayers for a speedy and complete recovery will be with you. Keep up the great work!