Espresso Man: some comments

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:11/1/1999; 5:51:03 AM
Topic:Ask Espresso Man: XML

Now consider how far we have come. We have demonstrated how defining an industry XML standard around a platform-neutral wire (XML/HTTP) allows for any two compliant subsystems to interconnect despite the OS and messaging middleware they use. Now let's consider the advantages from the developer's viewpoint.

Implementing such a subsystem using Visual Basic or C++ components constricts the eventual product deployment to a single OS and a single messaging service.

[Posted to Sun's comments field on the article in response:]

For the author: Ron- The whole idea is that I can implement in C++ if that's what floats my boat, or that's what my environment calls for. Using XML/HTTP, you can implement in Java and communicate seamlessly with my C++/MSMQ/COM software. You've taken the cross-platform answer and de-cross-platformed it by suggesting that one must use Java to have a real cross-platform system.

This just isn't the case. Using XML and HTTP for inter-application communication removes the need for a single language or development environment. There are already any number of development choices which support XML and HTTP. Using these standards smashes the platform/language wall and opens up opportunities for collaboration that are much much more interesting than language wars.

Respectfully,

Steve Ivy, steve@redmonk.net

A clarification: Paul Snively points out that I skipped the actual quote I was responding to:

Writing an equivalent set of components in the Java programming language provides the ability to deploy the resulting product on any OS.