Re: Espresso Man: some comments

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:11/1/1999; 7:18:09 AM
Topic:Ask Espresso Man: XML

Steve Ivy wrote:

The whole idea is that I can implement in C++ if that's what floats my boat, or that's what my environment calls for. Using XML/HTTP, you can implement in Java and communicate seamlessly with my C++/MSMQ/COM software. You've taken the cross-platform answer and de-cross-platformed it by suggesting that one must use Java to have a real cross-platform system.

For what it's worth, I didn't get this from what Ron wrote. Rather, I got that he wrote, in effect, "if you implement the middleware in Visual Basic or C++, using whatever communications tools are given you by your platform, your product will only work on that platform." Not one word about Java there at all, actually.

Of course, later in the same article, he does go on to say, in effect, that Java is the only way to get cross-platform code. This is, of course, strictly not true, but when I think about the extent of Java's coverage, including, e.g. cross-platform GUI tools, I'm slightly more sympathetic.