Re: Intentional Online Communities

Author:Dru Oja Jay
Posted:11/1/1999; 9:36:07 AM
Topic:Democracy, personalisation and Reputation Managers

Dave, you might be interested in Howard Rheingold's Brainstorms Community

Brainstorms hosts a private webconferencing community for knowledgeable, civil, adult, fun conversation about technology, the future, life online, culture, society, family, history, books, health, home, mind, phun, money and academiaville. We are a few hundred people of all kinds from all over the world. To get in, either I invite you or you email me and explain why you would be a valuable addition to the conversation.

Also there is a big list of links to other intentional communities..

As it turns out, this sort of thing was amazingly popular in the US in the early to mid 1800's, when the country was still very new.. obvious parallels to the web in that respect...

cheers,

Dru