Syndication Tracking

Author:Paul Nakada
Posted:11/3/1999; 2:34:11 PM
Topic:Syndication Tracking

I noticed something interesting in the my.userland.com story flow.

The link to this story on Red Herring is

http://www.herring.com/insider/1999/1103/vc-buzzsaw.html?id=userland

notice that herring tracks incoming links to their syndicated content? There's only one catch, that the referral, while from the my.userland.com story flow comes from another site that uses the story flow.

While this seems somewhat harmless, I can definitely see that moving forward, syndicators will reward sites for referrals and need to track them on a site by site basis, as opposed to a feed by feed basis.

Seems like there might be a need to standardize on a way to notify sites with syndicated content, where their referrals are coming from.

Comments?

- Paul