Tim BL, Absolute Power (off-topic) (was Re: XHTML...)

Author:Erik Neu
Posted:11/4/1999; 5:27:28 AM
Topic:XHTML...

James Tauber believes this is the first time Tim Berners-Lee has used his veto power on a proposed recommendation. If true, this shows some admirable restraint on a man who wields such power. A couple of thoughts...

1) The obvious adage comes to mind: "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". TBL certainly holds absolute power within the W3C. This may be an interesting study over time, because from what I have gleaned, the image of TBL is generally that of someone uncorruptible (and I certainly have no knowledge to the contrary).

2) On the more mundane side, but not unrelated to #1, even if he has not used this power up till now, the threat of the veto (either implicit or explicit) may well have exerted influence any number of times.